Quorum reached and meeting called to order at 16:06 UTC.
- Simon Phipps
- Chris Lamb
- Hong Phuc Dang
- Faidon Liambotis
- Elana Hashman
- Tracy Hinds
- Josh Simmons
- Molly de Blanc
- Pam Chestek
- Patrick Masson (via Jamie)
- Deb Bryant (Partial)
- Simon: As things have turned out I will still be in transit at the start of today’s call and until about T+45 mins. I’ll try to connect but can’t guarantee to be present until I get to my hotel.
- Motion (Patrick):
- Approve Board meeting minutes of January 10, 2020 (
- Approve minutes for October 11, 2019:
- Tabling until reviewed by Board
- Treasurer’s report (Hong Phuc), December’s Treasurer’s Report and related financial documents are available at:
- President’s report
- ACTION ITEM: Schedule staffing committee meeting (Josh)
- OSI staff “To Do” list.
- Annual Initiatives (Patrick)
- Staffing Committee Update (Josh)
- Has not met since last meeting
- ACTION ITEM: Meet and discuss performance review; getting a proposal put together that can be shared externally
- Communications Strategy (Josh)
- ACTION ITEM: Needs Board review and comment (Board)
- RESOLVED that OSI will explore co-marketing and potential collaboration with the ITU Global 5G Challenge. Patrick is empowered to commit OSI to a co-branding activity if it proves acceptable. (Simon)
- Membership committee report
- We continue to encourage new affiliates to join, especially in Asia (thanks Hong!)
- Individual member drive strategy around the election: organic social media engagement, ensure people know what the OSI does, ensure people know employees pay for memberships
- Reviewed and approved relevant annual initiatives
- Discussed above
- Motion (Pam): CAL beta 4: Resolved that it is the opinion of the OSI that the Cryptographic Autonomy License Beta 4 be approved for the Uncategorized Licenses category.
- Second (Elana)
- Discussion: The Board discussed the additional emails sent after the License Committee made its recommendation to the Board and found that they did not raise issues not previously considered.
- Vote: 8 Yes; 0 No; 1 Abstain.
- Motion (Pam): Mulan PSL License v2: Resolved that it is the opinion of the OSI that the Mulan PSL License v2 be approved as an Open Source Initiative Approved License in the International category of licenses.
- Second (Chris)
- Discussion: License in Chinese — Chinese language controls should there be differences
- Vote: 9 Yes; 0 No; 0 Abstain.
- ClearlyDefined: ClearlyDefined was well-represented and much discussed at FOSDEM and its associated fringe events. Many potential new users got questions and some concerns addressed, and multiple people sound much closer to starting to use the data now. The project was also presented to new audiences and continues to enjoy more word-of-mouth since the event(s). See appendix C for more. (Chris)
The next OSI board meeting is scheduled for. March 13, 2020
Appendix A – Treasurer’s Report, As of January 31, 2020
All OSI Treasurer’s Reports and related financial documents/reports are available on the OSI Wiki, at,
- Total Assets at Beginning of Period, 01/01/20: $350,561
- Revenue or Sources of Funds
- Contributions, $471
- Memberships, $1,760
- Interest, $7
- Total Revenue or Sources of Funds: $2,239
- Expenses or Uses of Funds
- Compensation: $10,892
- Fundraising Expense: $1,750
- Internet Expenses: $51
- Legal & Professional Fees: $1,367
- Office Expenses: $98
- Travel & Entertainment: $2,408
- Other Expenses: $110
- Total Expenses or Uses of Funds; $16,677
- Change in Accounts Payable: -$1,602
- Other: -$1,013
- Revenue or Sources of Funds
- Total Assets at End of Period, 01/31/20: $333,507
Appendix B – Team Reports
- Board Action Items
- Google sheet with current items and status.
- Communications Team
- Membership Team
- Fundraising Team
- Infrastructure Team
- Legal Team
- Incubator/Projects Team
Appendix C – ClearlyDefined Report
ClearlyDefined was well-represented and much discussed at FOSDEM and its associated fringe events. Many potential new users got questions and some concerns addressed, and multiple people sound much closer to starting to use the data now. The project was also presented to new audiences and continues to enjoy more word-of-mouth since the event(s).
We no longer have any contractors engaged on the project, so bug fixes and feature additions in the last month have been very limited. We do have notification of an intended donation of $25k from a new donor and finances otherwise are stable. We hope to start the process of identifying a new engineer to work on the project soon.
Technology changes and additions have been minimal in the last month. As part of discussions about ClearlyDefined at the open compliance tooling hackathon we got together a design of a prototype for a mirroring option for ClearlyDefined. We are working on identifying the resources that would be available (contracting or otherwise) to work on the implementation of this solution.
The curation community continues to be thriving and active. The Eclipse Foundation in particular has been active in the curation community and wants to work on a co-blog post with our project about their use of the data as well as a co-presentation on the work we are doing together. This is all meant to help drive the word-of-mouth and interest in the project as well as grow the community.The Software Heritage project also has offered to host a GSoC student this summer to work on a ClearlyDefined integration.
- Identify a new engineering resource to continue work on the project and potentially implement the mirroring solution for the project once up to speed on the project.
- Pursue a blog post and co-presentation on ClearlyDefined with the Eclipse Foundation.